With the release of “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” steadily approaching, author J.K. Rowling has slowly been giving readers a look into the world of North American magic. We’ve already had a look at the history of North America, but now it’s time to look into the magical school in North America. No Hogwarts here- here we have Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Rowling introduced the history of Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in a detailed post published on Pottermore this morning, to which the internet immediately devoured and then instantly went and sorted themselves. We won’t give away the details of the text, but we’ll give you some interesting bullet points! Accio bullet points!
- Ilvermorny was founded in the 17th century, standing at the highest peak of Mount Greylock (in Massachusetts), where it is concealed from non-magic gaze by a variety of powerful enchantments, which sometimes manifest in a wreath of misty cloud.
- Founded by Isolt Sayre, an Irish-born witch who came to the “new world.”
- The Four Houses of Ilvermorny are: Thunderbird, Horned Serpent, Wampus, and Pukwudgie
- Salazar Slytherin has SOMETHING to do with the school, but we won’t tell you what!
- We want to go through the Ilvermorny Sorting Ceremony because it sounds awesome and dramatic as heck.
- The robes of Ilvermorny are blue and cranberry. Why? Read the passage!
But just what in the world do the new houses mean? Most are well versed in what the Hogwarts houses of Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff stand for, but what about Ilvermorny’s finest?
You can check out each of the houses below, but we highly recommend that you get yourself on over to Pottermore and read the newest passage, which you can find here, and then go over and get yourself sorted into Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry using the link at the bottom of the passage. Now, go make some magic!